I love how a good sweat makes me feel - refreshed, re charged and squeaky, shiny clean. Sweating is the body's natural way to cleanse itself from the inside out. Facial Steams are a great way to access the benefits of sweating and also offer the benefits of moist herbal heat to the skin. Facial Steams open the pores and enable the skin to release toxins and debris that may be trapped in the pores, while promoting circulation of important nutrients including oxygen to the skins surface. Steaming regularly will help your skin feel clean, supple, vibrant and healthy.
Benefits of facial steaming:
- detoxifies the skin
- relaxes facial muscles
- increases circulation
- promotes hydration (the water moisture from herbal steams can actually plump the skin)
- refreshes the senses
- improves over all appearance of the skin : glowing and radiant
- when steaming with herbs the herbal properties are absorbed readily by the pores activating and energizing their effects on the skin
PREPARE YOUR SELF
Recommended* weekly and at the very least, seasonally. For a more thorough detoxification steam for 5 days in a row. This is especially great for oily and acne prone skin.
- Wear comfortable clothes so you can relax.
- Cleanse your skin with your favorite cleanser.
- Cleanse again or exfoliate with lavender sencha exfoliant
PREPARE THE SPACE
- Put your tea kettle on to boil with 8-10 cups of filtered water
- Place a large pot or bowl that holds 6-8 cups of water on your kitchen table or in a quiet space that you love.
- You'll need 2 towels. One large to place over your head to trap the steam and the other can be a hand towel size to place under the bowl to protect your table.
- In a tea cup, put some lemon juice or a green tea or fennel tea bag.
- In the bowl, use 2-3 tablespoons of organic green tea or 3-4 tea bags. I prefer Sencha.
- Also in the bowl, 3-4 slices of citrus, each of lemon and orange
- Optional add-ins to your sencha citrus steam bowl are:
- 1 tablespoon organic rose petals for a more nurturing and calming steam for your skin and spirit. Ideal for all skin types, especially dry and mature.
- 1-2 springs of organic rosemary for a more clarifying steam for your mind and skin. Ideal for oily skin types.
- When the water comes to a boil, pour some in your tea cup and let steep for a minute. Start relaxing by preparing your insides with a warm cuppa. Return the kettle to the stove top and bring to a rolling boil.
- When the water is at a rolling boil for 1-2 minutes; remove from heat and pour over the bowl with the herbs. Cover with a towel/lid and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Sit back and drink your tea.
- Uncover the bowl and place the towel over your head. Position your face about 10-12 inches over the steaming water**
- Keep your eyes closed as you breath deeply, yet softly. Allow the steam to penetrate your lungs and skin. Deep breathing is not only relaxing to the body and mind, but will also increase your circulation, enhancing the effects of the steam.
- Steam until your skin feels good and wet with perspiration, about 5-7 minutes. Be careful not to over do it!
- Drink a glass of plain water or water with lemon.
- Pat your skin dry and then splash a little cool water on your face. Pat dry again and apply your favorite toner.
- If applying a treatment mask, do it now. Otherwise, apply your favorite moisturizer or serum.
note: There are an infinite number of herbal combinations for steaming. If you're creating your own combination use @ 2 TBS. of dry herbs and about 2 handfuls of fresh, pour boiling water over them and steep in the same way as mentioned above.
Green Tea Benefits
Chinese and Japanese books of medicine dating back 2000 years reference the medicinal property of green tea, referring to it often as "green jade." It's no wonder there are so many health benefits being discovered about this ancient remedy
Green tea contains catechins, anti-bacterial agents that suppress acne-causing bacteria, these catechins have also been found to help normalize hormone imbalances often associated with acne. Herbalists frequently use green tea that has been cooled/chilled as a treatment for small cuts, scrapes, and bug bites, as well as , to reduce redness and inflammation in the skin, especially after prolonged sun exposure. Green tea also possess polyphenols, which help neutralize free radical damage to the skin thus making it a powerful tool in anti-aging.
The antioxidants present in citrus fruits, namely Vitamin C, speed up cell turnover while helping to remove dead skin cells. Most citrus contain at least a small amount of anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties making it a natural detoxifier. Citrus is also a naturally bright, uplifting, and energizing aromatic.
*Not recommended if you have visible capillaries, skin irritations or skin conditions such as rosascea or other health and skin conditions sensitive to heat exposure.
**BE AWARE , steam can be very hot. The temperature should be warm enough to make your skin perspire but not so hot that it's painful to inhale or that it burns the skin.